Friday, January 27, 2006

may it happen again

Today could very well be one that I would remember for a long time.

JOSE PAUL (for those who don’t know is the creative director for ‘David’ an ad-agency known for its child like wackiness) began the class by telling us that he was to give us our grades. These grades were due for a long time – and rightly so as there are 59 of us in the class.

He begins by telling us that he was touched by the efforts we had put in. he continued to make a mention of one Brief (in advertising parlance that would be the stimulus given to the creative guy for him to come out with his creative expression of how HE thinks the client wants his message to be sent across) that stood out.

…………in my mind I didn’t think I’ll stand a chance to be that one lucky person who had caught his eye and so my mind wandered in and out of class………until Prachee nudged me saying that he was referring to the brief that I had submitted.

I kept telling my self that it couldn’t be me ……….

Speaking in retrospect. At the time of writing the brief I had realised that on one extreme a lot of the people in class were writing him abstract poems and on the other extreme very formatted (sequenced and question oriented) briefs.
May be what I wanted to be, was just different …………but I wrote from the heart.

It was then that JOSE announced that the brief that he likes was mine ………not because I had packaged the sheet in a cassette case but because it had all the elements in it that he was looking for

Needless to say I was ecstatic ……………….my first A+.

The joy is not of it being an A+ ……………but for the fact that it comes from JOSE.
Who not only has been known for his antics in the ad world but who comes off as a seriously genuine person.
And being appreciated by a National Creative Director …………it’s my first time and I pray for it to happen again and again and again……………… and again!!!!

1 comment: